The Sheffield Civic Trust and Sheffield Society of Architects warmly invite you to the
Launch of the 2018 Sheffield Design Awards
to be held Thursday 10th May, 5.30pm at Sheffield Town Hall.
The launch will introduce the categories for this year’s awards, the entry and judging process, and give details of the awards ceremony, to be held in October. We are also pleased to announce the our
Guest Speaker – Rob Murfin, Chief Planning Officer of Sheffield City Council
We do hope that you will join us, beginning with a drinks reception at 5.30pm.
Sheffield Design Awards
The Sheffield Design Awards (SDAs) are a bi-annual event, with the awards ceremony to be held next in October 2018. The Sheffield Design Awards are a joint scheme of the Sheffield Civic Trust and the Sheffield Society of Architects and were established for the benefit of the public and City of Sheffield and its region, with the following objectives:
- To promote high standards of building and open spaces that have excellent architectural standards and make a substantial contribution to the local environment principally through the promotion of an Awards scheme.
- To educate and inform the local population in the qualities of good planning and architecture which respect the needs of the public, as well as the concerns of planners, developers and users of significant buildings and open spaces in the area of benefit.
- To encourage by publications, presentations and making awards the preservation, protection, development and improvement of features of historic or public interest in the area of benefit.
Awards are given to buildings and open spaces that have high architectural standards and make a substantial contribution to the local environment. The Awards are made after a shortlist of 12 nominated schemes is visited by a panel of invited judges and the Awards decided. The Award categories and winners in 2016 were:
- Outstanding Project of the Year Award [Overall prize winner] Grey to Green
- Conservation Award – 81 Slinn St. Walkley
- Small Project Award – Foodhall
- Contribution to Open Spaces Award – Grey to Green
- Best Building Award – Blackburn Meadows
- Housing / Residential Award – 81 Slinn St.
- People’s Choice Award – Foodhall
- Keith Hayman Award for cycling or public art – Women of Steel